Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Very Interesting Wednesday

So this morning was my turn to speak for week of prayer. The theme this week is "Glimpses of God" and my topic was Leader. All week we've had two meetings led by the SMs and some of the spiritual committee students. Every single speaker has been a blessing. I told the story of how I was led to Guyana (read the story here) and I think it went really well! Definitely an answer to prayer.

After lunch, Jacqui and I set out for our second town trip to Matumbas. We were only going there to pick up our "bananas" aka our African dresses, but the trip still ended up being eventful! I drove the whole way, which I'm actually really enjoying! I never thought that I would look forward to driving on the left side of the road with crazy matatus everywhere, but I do. That's been one of the blessings of having a separate town trip day. If I was with the other SMs, my chances of driving regularly with Tanzi and Keith in the car would have been slim.

On the way, we experienced some of the slowest traffic I can remember! First, a lady stuck her head out of the matatu window in front of us and started throwing up. Gross. Then, while I was trying to watch the road, out of the corner of my eye I saw a bunch of people running again. The last time I saw that, it ended up being a riot, so I was not thrilled at the prospects of another one. It turned out to be the collision of a car and a matatu.

Once we finally arrived at matumbas, we made a beeline for our dresses. On the way, we saw a guy walking toward us pull out his iphone and start taking pictures of us. This is not all that uncommon, and has actually happened to me before, but today, the guy who was taking the pictures was white and definitely looked like a tourist! Creepy. Jacqui and I were very confused. The only explanation we came up with is that we will shortly be the newest meme on the internet: "blending in, you're doing it wrong."

After successfully acquiring our african dresses, we headed off to Gallaria for froyo and Nakumatt. I successfully created my cheapest froyo yet; peanut butter chocolate topped with slivers of almonds. Yum! Then at Nakumatt, I had my best find of the day! We were in the cereal isle grabbing Jacqui's cheap sugar flakes (roughly 195 KSH) when on the way out, I saw that the cereal I had been drooling over for a month (previously over 600 KSH and completely not worth it) was now down to the incredible price of 200 schillings! Craziness! I definitely picked up two boxes... :)

My super awesome find!



No comments:

Post a Comment