Wednesday, October 17, 2012

BEST. DAY. EVER.

It seems like Wednesday is becoming an unofficial blogging day, and I don't mind one bit! That's mostly because Wednesdays are always super exciting and have a bunch of great down time packed in for good measure.

Today didn't start out looking all that promising. In addition to my regularly scheduled recorder class at the elementary and biology class with the freshmen, Mr R asked me to teach senior physics as well. Because of PSATs, Mr R was busy all morning proctoring, so yesterday I started looking over his textbook and started preparing to talk about force diagrams and friction for 40 minutes. Despite all of my dreading, when I started talking to the four seniors who are in the physics class, everything flowed beautifully! The students seemed to enjoy what we were talking about, and were very involved throughout the class. I came out of that room completely pumped and excited about teaching! I'm pretty sure that worked in my favor, because my very next class was recorders at the elementary. My main problem down there is classroom management. That and learning all the kids names. Thanks to the dobaz (book of all the pictures and names of students and faculty) I now have a way to study their names. I only had about three more names down than I did on Monday, but even those few names made a huge difference! I came out of recorder class practically floating (and that's saying something!). 

The afternoon didn't begin looking all that promising either. The other SMs spend yesterday afternoon exploring, but even after hearing about their adventures, Jacqui and I decided to play it safe and simply make a stop at the Gallaria Nakumatt. What we both had very much on our minds as we entered the mall was the cereal we had found last week. I had little hope of finding it again for the same price, but even so I was disappointed after we both spent several minutes scouring the cereal isle and had nothing to show for it. While I was still dragging my eyes over the shelves of cereals one last time, Jacqui called to me from the bargain table at the end of the isle, "It's here!" Not only had she found the cereal, but she had found a whopping eight boxes worth of it! It less than 10 seconds, each of us had four boxes each in our baskets. Success! 

SO excited! Eight perfect boxes of chocolatey hazelnutty goodness!
By the time we were done at Nakumatt, and Jacqui had eaten her frozen yogurt (I finally resisted this week), it was only 2:30. Neither of us wanted to make an appearance on campus that early in the afternoon, and with our spirits now very high thanks to eight boxes of chocolate hazelnutty goodness stashed safely in the school van, we decided to do some exploring of our own.

I started driving towards Karen with only a vague idea of which road the rest of the SMs had taken the day before. Once we veered off our beaten path, we started to see lots of signs for all sorts of amazing places. We found a spa with Jacqui's name on it, a place that recycles old flip-flops into crazy sculptures, and the Kazuri bead factory where we took a tour with a group of mzungu. Definitely one crazy awesome day!

We found Jacqui's studio! 
My obsession. This little bracelet cost as much as FOUR boxes of cereal! Disappointment.
Best. Day. Ever.
(all photos from Jacqui's Instagram)

No comments:

Post a Comment