Monday, May 27, 2013

A Farm at the Foot of the Ngong Hills...

As you may or may not know, this blog was originally named after a fictional book title in my mom's favorite british sitcom As Time Goes By. In the show, Leonel writes a rather dull book about his life as a coffee grower in Kenya. This is very similar to another non-fictional book entitled Out of Africa. (If you've seen the movie staring Meryl Streep and Robert Redford, you know the story) Richard, the boy's dean, sat the SMs down at the beginning of the year and subjected our jet-lagged brains to the movie, and while I remember liking it, I'll definitely have to see it again when I'm fully conscious.

The Karen Blixen in the book is the same Karen for which the town down the road is named. Since we've been living so close for so long, Jacqui and I decided to use our last Wednesday town trip together to explore the Keren Blixen Museum.

Finally getting to visit this museum was definitely the highlight of our last town trip. Edgar, our tour guide, told us everything there was to possibly know both about both Karen's history and the house. We got to use our residency passes one last time (we only spent a mere 100KSH!), learned a lot about the history of the area, and got to play tourists in what has become our own backyard. Unfortunately, no pictures were allowed inside, but Jacqui and I still got a few good ones out on the grounds.

The Karen Blixen House

Jacqui looking all cute!
Coffee plants and treating coffee beans 


I don't know about you, but I think my view of the Ngong Hills is so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment